Supporting Families

(State Programs)



We support families as a team!


According to Title 5, Section 18277 state contractors must provide information to the community regarding available services. 

Families are recruited on an ongoing basis for our early education programs. The primary marketing/recruitment tools include flyers, radio announcements, word of mouth, door to door, yard signs, banners and

Waiting List

According to Title 5, Section 18106 state contractors must maintain a waiting list in accordance to the admission priorities. Families must be contacted in order of priority from the waiting list as vacancies occur.

During a program review, we will be required to provide records of use of the waiting list. In addition, eligibility files for the most recently enrolled family will be reviewed. Within Stanislaus County, StanWait is the primary state program waiting list. A family may place themselves on StanWait by telephone, in-person or at Outside county's and state migrant programs maintain a waiting list on-site.

Application for Services

Family Service Workers complete Head Start applications on an ongoing basis. State program applications are completed when a child is selected for enrollment. Applications are completed with the parent/guardian through an interview process.


Head Start/State dual enrollment vacancies must be filled immediately as a vacancy impacts our funding. At least 10% of the total enrollment opportunities must be made available for children with disabilities. Family Service Workers facilitate the enrollment process by working with families to schedule appointments and complete paperwork. Teachers or designee are part of the orientation process too. 

Family & Community Engagement

Staff promote shared responsibility with parents for their child's early learning and development. Family engagement strategies are designed to foster parental confidence and skill in promoting children's learning and development.

Case Conferencing

A multi-disciplinary method used to provide family support. Team members meet monthly to discuss children and families comprehensively and address the immediate needs of families as well as build on their strengths.


Attendance is very important. Studies show that 83% of students chronically absent in their early school years are unable to read at grade level by 3rd grade. Students who cannot read on-level in 3rd grade are 4 times more likely to drop out of school; therefore every effort will be made to support families in getting their child to school daily and on-time. 

Transition Services

Programs must complete a Child & Family Transition Plan for all Head Start children & families. Educators will develop a social-emotional goal from the DRDP assessment tool to include strategies for school and home prior to child’s first day of attendance. The Transition Plan & Tool Kit will be utilized as a resource for planning.

Non-Federal Share

Since Head Start's beginning, the federal government has committed to cover 80% of the actual costs of program services. The remaining 20% needed to operate the program must be garnered from other sources. This portion is called non-federal share.

Non-federal share may be cash or “in-kind”.  Cash match may include state funds, local funds, private or corporate donations, etc.  In-kind is a contribution of goods or services (i.e. time, materials).